A recent study by the national Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, shows that women over the age of 60 are drinking more than ever before.
These women are binge drinking at an increased rate year after year.
Researcher Rosalind Breslow of the NIAAA studied drinking patterns among 65,000 men and women 60 and older between 1997 and 2014. The percentage of women who binge-drink jumped almost 4 percent a year, while the proportion of men who did the same remained steady. There were still more binge-drinking men than women, though ― 1,700 women to more than 6,500 men. – Huffington Post
Why is this?
There are quite a few reasons that could be the cause.
- Women are outliving there spouses and are feeling more lonely
- Money woes in retirement
- Stress fueled by caregivers
- Empty nest syndrome, especially when kids leave settle away from their parents in another part of the country or world
- Stress accrued from years in the workforce
- Women are being advertised about alcohol more than ever before – Think the Skinnygirl brand
No matter what the reason for the rise in binge drinking of older women, it’s bad for the health of America. Women are more likely to abuse alcohol, and have a higher risk of incurring alcohol-related diseases like memory loss and liver disease.
It may be time to slow down on our wine consumption ladies.
It is recommended that women only consume 7 alcoholic beverages in a given week. And no more than 3 beverages at a single sitting.
Yes, I know. Wine has it’s health benefits too.